Fun things to do at work |
- Answer all calls with "You have reached the lair of Zog Torgoth,
Dark Lord of Evil. Can I have your customer number, please?"
- Repeat back everything the customer says, in a lousy foreign accent,
and insist that they have a really bad echo on the line.
- Pretend to choke and die before giving the customer that final piece
of information that will fix their problem forever.
- Reveal that you're secretly working for the competition. Offer to
sell corporate secrets. Give the customer an embarrassing codename.
Refer to them regularly using this. Whisper. At the end of the call,
pretend to be discovered by the gestapo, and be dragged off for
- Pretend that you called them, and ask to speak to "Gavin". If they
sound confused, tell them you'll call back later, and then hang up.
- Bring your cat to work. Let it cover your shift for you. Take a long
- Use jargon for everything. For example. "Green Plastic Power Button"
should become "Chartreuse polymer based electron transfer initialisation
circuit depress unit". If the customer appears confused, advise them
that they are expected to have at least a working knowledge of their
- After the customer explains the problem they are having, refuse to
assist on the grounds that this is a matter of national security, and
any assistance you provide would be detrimental to this country's
current UN negotiations about the buildup of military forces in
- Have a violent argument with yourself. Make no attempt to disguise
your voice. Call yourself names. Get as offensive as you like.
- Chant "He is coming... he is coming..." until they freak out and
- Try to sell them a time share.
- Tape two receivers together and let the customers argue with each
other for a while.
- If their computer isn't connecting properly, offer them yours. But
first, in order to prove their worthiness, they must pass a series of
tests, each more fiendish and deadly than the last...
- Refuse to acknowledge they're even registered until they do the
'Knights who say nee' scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail with
you. Offer them the part of the head knight to persuade them.
- Since the program takes a while to install, entertain them with your
impressions of farmyard animals.
- Take calls. That's what you're here for, isn't it?